Friday 22 March 2013

When Fiery Trials Are Hot on Our Heels …

 
As I peer out the window of my home just outside Colorado Springs, I can see majestic Pikes Peak standing tall overlooking our city. I love the fact that every morning when I open the blinds, there it is. Barring some cataclysmic event, it’s not going anywhere anytime soon, and that is comforting to me. Last summer as I witnessed wildfire explode across the canyon into our city, consuming trees and homes in its path, the mountain itself wasn’t consumed. Even when I couldn’t see it through the smoke, I knew it was there.
In a similar way, the trials of daily living feel like they might consume us at times. We strain to see through the smoke, eyes squinting across the canyon of our circumstances. We’re hoping the fire won’t jump the ridge. But then it does. What we thought was manageable is now out of control and the thing we once dreaded is now a reality. What do we do then, when what is dear to us is being consumed before our very eyes?
In John 16, Jesus is spending some final moments with His disciples prior to His arrest and crucifixion. These disciples left everything behind to follow and love Jesus for the last several years. They are His beloved friends. In the chapters prior, Jesus revealed to them that very soon He would suffer greatly, die, be resurrected, and then leave them. On top of that, He let them know the world would hate and persecute them. I imagine their minds may have skimmed over the part about the resurrection and highlighted in bold the fact that they were about to be without their Savior and best friend! The fire had just jumped the ridge. In those moments, everything they lived for must’ve seemed like it was about to be consumed. But then Jesus says some of the most compelling and compassionate words in verse 33:

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
I imagine Jesus saw their panic and grief-stricken faces and felt compelled to give them this encouraging word, reassuring His friends that, while a lot of terribly difficult and painful situations were about to unfold, He had already made provision. No matter what lay ahead, death and tragedy would not have the last word in their lives. Essentially, Jesus was asking them to gain new perspective on what was about to come in light of what He was offering them—peace and certain victory.
As I was writing for my new album, Jesus’ words “Take Heart” echoed through the depths of my spirit. In my own life, I have felt fiery trials hot on my heels, and all too often I have become weary of the struggle of this world, even heartsick. I’m guessing it’s safe to say you have felt that way too. But an amazing thing happens when we lift our eyes from the chaos of the canyon up to the face of our victorious Rock who is Christ Jesus. Our perspective is transformed. Our gaze steadied. Our vision clearer. We are able to reach out and take hold of the peace Jesus extends to us as we endure the fire. We no longer have to cower in fear—we can stand in Jesus’ sure and certain victory. My friends, let us lift our eyes to Him and take heart together! For, indeed, He has overcome the world.


Source: RBC Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment